Tax Rebates – uniforms, professional fees, mileage and more. Are you entitled to one?

There are various reasons for taxpayers getting a tax rebate from time to time, but something that is becoming more common is employees getting tax rebates on expenses they have incurred personally that relate entirely to their job. However there are many people out there that are not aware of this and are therefore losing out.

Expenses that are commonly incurred for your job include uniform that you only wear for work, other work clothing such as safety gear or equipment, mileage that is not at all or not fully reimbursed (note that this does not cover travel to and from your place of work), professional fees / subscriptions required for your role. If all of the relevant criteria are met and you have paid tax in the year then you can reclaim the tax on these costs.

This can be done quite easily if your claim is for expenses less than £2,500 which could result in a tax rebate of up to £500. You are able to claim within four years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

There are also other reasons for tax refunds outside of employment expenses. These may include refunds for tax paid on savings interest if you’re a low earner or having paid too much tax on a private pension. If you believe that these may be relevant to you, they are worth investigating further.

If you would like to discuss any of these issues further or would like assistance with submitting a claim, please do not hesitate to contact us.